We Like America and America Likes Us


I love Bruce High Quality - They do things with video that I think about. Their video, “We Like America and America Likes Us” is amazing. The narrative goes with and against what are otherwise completely unrelated clips that are given meaning through their placement next to each other (eisensteinian…) and the superimposed narrative that they juxtapose and support at different times. I love it. but there is more to it - I used to talk about this with friends - ways of incorporating pop music to change the way something appears/it’s meaning. And it's projected in the ghost busters car poorly enameled white. People reference it as a white herse, it's the ghost busters car, they use clips from the movie. it's awesome. I think about this whole true/truer thing a lot. When I was in high school, I had just had an awful week before my 18th birthday, I had just come back from the worst week ever. I got in my car to drive to school really early and put on “Black Celebration” cause I was all depressed, for good reasons, but it’s synth pop so I subverted the emotion into something happy while also indulging in the darkness - it’s what goth is but when applied to an actual problem, there is something funny and weird there. It’s true and not true at the same time - it’s funny.

No comments: