In Response to Kell Condon, one of the smartest most awesome of art dudes around.

art, necessarily to be art, is not real - is not the first experience, the first response, the immediate anything - that is if it is going to be symbolic and deal with issues. Let me try to explain what I mean another way - Take Jackson Pollack. You can either look at those painting as a record, diary as you called it before, of gestures that the dude was making in a room with paint, or you can take them a symbolic statement about the state of painting, or you can talk about them as the spread of western culture through the eastern block during the cold war. Depending on how you look at them, they can take on very different social meanings or not - they can be completely aesthetic records, or simply records of actions past. Let's talk about this in a tri-fecta way of seeing a piece of art, of witnessing each perspective at the same time - it's like Picasso in motion or reality or something. You know what I mean? What I am interested in is something that is both irreverent and poignant at the same time, holding both perspectives at once but not in such a literal way that I want to paint each perspective superimposed like the picasso joke I just made, in a viewpoint sort of way. I think I err on the side of frivolity often because it is more fun and simpler, but I what I am going for is poignant tragedy that makes you cackle or utter stupidity, (and this isn't original, can we say shakespeare?) that holds the truth... I don't know, I have done an had so many different view points in my life that I find it difficult to want to commit fully to any one - they all hold something important and so it's their ability to exist in tandem that I am interested in. I don't know if that just sounds like a lot of pretentious hooey but that's where my head has been lately. I also think that is something to think about - wars are started cause people don't understand grey areas/grey alliances contexts, simultaneous and opposing viewpoints in tandem. When I feel like art is too frivolous is when I chastise myself for screwing around a lot because in my fantasy world I would have tried to be a politician and I like to blame my propensity for screwing around on the fact that my head is not quite clear enough to have done that - that it works this way instead. I shouldn't say that though, there are different ways to affect the world around you, but I was much more clear headed in my younger days and sometimes romanticize what might have been, you know? It's easy to do that. Anyway, I see no reason that you can't be in all spaces at once - Dumbo, Bushwick, Riverdale, Wisconsin, Berlin, all at once. It may take some serious team work but it works. And it's not about being everything to everyone, it's about incorporating something from everyone into a unity. NOT in a hippy way. In a deep cool way. And there is humor and realism incorporated - not for the hippies, though the hippies probably get the sentiment better than anyone, you know?

No comments: