objectivity is a modern day unicorn if we continue on a path where private education reigns supreme

I was revisiting "the metaphors we live by"  and thought I would post a point that has been incubating in my head since college...  I want to make clear that I am strongly in favor of the early pragmatists and the western understanding of reason and logic and this is just a first thought and it doesn't say too much more than what I already said in my thesis...  The last bit seem a little out of place, but, it is a related idea that I usually think is a little to frivolous for a paper.

objectivity is defined as that which:

...allows us to to rise above personal prejudice and bias, to be fair, and to take an unbiased view of the world.  To be objective is to rational; to be subjective is to be irrational and to give in to the emotions.

This is somewhat problematic to me because every reaction is a product of experiences which are unique to the individual. A ridiculous and almost unrefutable self defeating argument is that a propensity for reason is a bias itself therefore an unbiased position is impossible, but that is not my position at all.  Considering this position, the social contract is just that we all agree to a set of logic, which is what I found comforting and exciting about the early pragmatist, and an unwillingness to do so is an invitation out of the society. The reason I believe that this is such a crucial point, which really does necessitate the abolition of private education, is that biases and prejudices are a result of differing experiences due to the way the world treats an individual and the opportunities that have been available.  An unbiased position would have to take into account every differing stimulus or rationale for behaviors (in a cause and effect sense) and would lead to different outcomes for different individuals carrying out the same actions based on these circumstances, available information, and actions that might possibly be carried out.  This means that sentencing is not necessarily based on actions but rather must take into account all underlying reasons for the action itself.  It then becomes a society of second chances if we do not universalize access and uniform education. This makes me attracted to a form of facism since I just might think that that is one of the only ways to enforce a rational court of appeals.  Democracy is in someways a fantastic vehicle to come to such a social understanding in that it gauges the perspective and allows for myriad possibilities for a life to be lived under various circumstances with alternative stimuli and information.  In someways I see it as a symptom of the human need to explore since it is that desire that lead to cultural cross pollination.  I don't know, I guess I am still mulling over my thesis and all the more convinced that a lot of what is considered to be an emotional response is the frustration that appears when two perspectives seem incommensurable and the
incommensurability produces a stalemate. 


No comments: