a tautology - sort of.

I've been thinking a lot about my high school graduation speech - I wrote it about how the second semester of senior year was the most telling because it was the first time in our lives that we didn’t have to do anything for grades, for the sake of getting into college, so it was the time when we could tell what it was that we REALLY liked. obviously - leisure and things that bring pleasure are preferable to anything you do for sustenance. This idea amounts to almost little more than a simplistic tautology. This is where the reverse contrapositive is KEY. Just because you make money doing something does not mean that you do not actually like it. It is also false on the grounds that it assumes anything you do without being paid is something that you love to do, which is most certainly not the case. I do not love diarrhea, and no one pays me to pass it, but when I have to, I do it with out getting paid. Still, that doesn’t make it what I love to do - not by a long shot.

No comments: